Wednesday 11 May 2011

Wouter Weylandt Crash

Just a short post to commemorate and honor Wouter Weylandt, a 26 year old Belgian cyclist who died in a crash on the descent of the Passo del Bocco in stage 3 of this years Giro. The autopsy has revealed that he died on impact from a fractured skull and experienced no pain. Although I never knew him personally the loss of his life left me gutted when I first found out, and the sick feeling has followed me ever since. It is such a tragedy for someone so young, talented and brave to die under these circumstances, especially when he left a pregnant wife. His death was a reminder of the inherent dangers present in the sport of cycling. The way in which Wouter Waylandts passing has united the cycling community has been remarkable. Forums have been abuzz with tributes to the man, and homages throughout the world are being made. You only had to watch stage 4 today to appreciate the outpouring of grief and respect from the peloton, as they neautralized the stage, took 10 minute turns in sharing the lead, had a 1 minute silence, and left his team, Leapard Trek and best friend, Tyler Farrar, to cross the line out in front of the peloton. Lets ensure that this commemoration of Wouters life continues and that his death is not forgotten. Always stay focussed on the road, and never take unnecessary risks. In order to honour Wouter Weylandts life I for one will be wearing a black armband at my Saturday race on the Gold Coast. I would encourage others to do this to show your support for his family, friends and team, and above all to honor the life of a courageous person who lived his dream. Please support this worthy cause at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100957283328806
From the cycling community, rest in peace, Wouter, your life will never be forgotten and you died doing the thing you loved. I will leave you now with the words of Jack London.

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

1984-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment