Sunday 1 May 2011

Chinese Wheels vs. The Rest

Lately I have begun to get restless, and I have begun feeling that itch that I'm sure all cyclists are familiar with, to buy something.  Yes no matter how satisfied we are with our bike, due to the rapid amount of products released daily, the urge to buy something never wavers.  I have had my bike for over 16 months now, and apart from a bike computer, I have not spent any money on upgrading it.  So I think I deserve a little upgrade, and from my knowledge and research, buying a wheelset is the cheapest and quickest way to improve the quality and speed of your ride.  This has brought me to a crossroads, because although I want to buy some new wheels, I don't want to spend a fortune doing so.  After hours searching the web, the option of Chinese and Taiwanese made wheels, like those from Yishun and Dengfu, has become quite appealing to me.  They are dirt cheap at $500 for 50mm carbon clinchers, and are most likely similiar quality to wheelsets of double the value.  Infact a large number of companies these days simply buy these wheels from overseas, place a sticker with their brand name on it, and raise the price by $300 dollars.  I am very close to ordering a pair of these wheels, and would recommend to anyone in the market for wheelsets to have a quick look before making a decision.  Since this is a topic of much discussion in the cycling world at the moment, feel free to leave a message, on your opinion on asian made wheels.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Did you end up scoring some rims? What's your take? I just started checking these out as well.

    ReplyDelete